Copper concentrate is shipped by truck from the Bisha Mine to the Massawa Port and goods and supplies are transported by truck along the same route. The number of one way trips in 2014 totaled 11,639. We hope to increase efficiency by having trucks carry loads in both directions, as far as practicable.
Copper concentrate is shipped by truck from the Bisha Mine to the Massawa Port
Transportation impacts include:
- Energy use: included in the overall energy consumption, reported here.
- GHG emissions: included in the overall emissions, reported here.
- Noise and emissions: mitigation measures that are in place include using new trucks (with lower noise and emissions) and enforcing speed limits
- Spill control: copper concentrate is shipped in sealed containers to minimize potential impacts such as spillage and dust. In the event of a spill, the contractor cleans up lost material including potentially contaminated soil under the supervision of mine HSE personnel. Recovered material is then returned to the process plant
- Road accidents: represent a risk due to the number of trips and based on a few incidents that occurred in 2014. Mitigation measures including using new trucks, managing driver fatigue and enforcing speed limits and other traffic safety measures are routinely discussed with Transhorn, the contractor company.